At the discretion of GHA, based on budget and number of applications needed, applications will be randomly selected from the lottery waiting list via the software system and placed on the HCV waiting list.
Below is a list of facilities with computer labs available to the public during the HCV waiting list application period:
Gainesville Housing Authority
Computer labs are available by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, please call Leslee Highsmith at (352) 872-5500 ext. 7107.
- Main office
- Eastwood Meadows
- Pine Meadows
How Will I Know if I Have Been Selected by the Lottery?
After the waiting list closes, the random lottery will be processed within 14 business days. You can check if your pre-application was selected for placement on the HCV waiting list after that time.
How Do I Report Household Changes?
If you have been selected from the lottery pool, return to this page to keep your application up-to-date, including mailing address, household composition, income and contact information.
It is especially important that applicants update their application with any change of address, household composition, and income. Such changes must be reported to GHA within 10 days.
When Will I Receive My Voucher?
When a family reaches the top of the HCV waiting list, a full application must be completed. GHA conducts a formal in-person interview and requests verification of family information required by HUD and GHA. After the application process is complete and all information is verified, the family’s final eligibility for issuance of a voucher is determined.
A family that is issued a voucher has the choice and responsibility of finding their own suitable housing where the owner agrees to rent under the Housing Choice Voucher Program. All rentals must meet the HUD established Housing Quality Standards and the rent must be equivalent to comparable market units. Program participants may choose to rent an apartment, townhome, or single family home in a neighborhood of their choice within GHA’s jurisdiction.
The following are the eligibility requirements for the Housing Choice Voucher Program:
- An applicant must qualify as an individual or family as defined by U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
- Head of household must be at least 18 years of age at the time of this pre-application, or an emancipated minor by a court of competent jurisdiction, consistent with Florida law.
- At the time of admission, the family must have annual income that does not exceed the established income limits according to the maximum income by family size established by HUD.
- Applicant and all adult members of the family must pass a criminal background check at time of admission.
- Applicant or any member of the family that has ever been convicted of manufacturing or producing methamphetamine on the premises of any federally-assisted housing or any family household member that is subject to a lifetime registration requirement under a state sex offender registration program will not be eligible for housing assistance.
- Applicant and all members of the family must meet HUD requirements on citizenship or immigration status.
- Applicant or any member of the family who currently owes rent or other amounts to GHA or any other housing authority will not be offered assistance until the outstanding balance is paid in full.
||30% of Median
||Very Low Income
According to the Quality Housing and Work Responsibility Act of 1998, HUD requires at least 75% of all new admissions to have incomes at or below 30% of the area median or Federal poverty income.
GHA policy is based on the number of people in your family, not the age or sex of children.
Finding the Perfect Home
Visit gosection8.com and configure the search criteria for a desired area in Alachua County. You may filter results by a number of criteria including rental cost, property type and number of bedrooms.
Frequently Asked Questions
For frequently asked questions, visit here.