Homeowners Program Offering Housing Choice Voucher Participants Hope and a Permanent Address.
Gainesville, FL October 25, 2016— Low income, first time homebuyers are gearing up for the opportunity to learn how a government assistance program can help them buy a home, instead of paying renting.
The Gainesville Housing Authority’s (GHA) is hosting another Housing Choice Voucher (HVC) (formerly known as Section 8) Homebuyer’s Assistance Workshop this Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 10:00 a.m.
“We had standing room only at the first Homebuyer’s Workshop held last month,” said GHA Executive Director Pamela Davis. “Considering the large attendance at our event last month, we decided to move the October 26th Homebuyer’s Workshop to the Gainesville Technology Entrepreneurship Center (GTEC)”.
Representatives from various other Homeownership programs from the City of Gainesville and Alachua County will also be in attendance to help guide potential buyers through the process of becoming homeowner.
Davis adds, “This HCV Homeownership program works in much the same way as the HCV Program, except the residents will be building equity and a permanent place to call home.”
Below are just a few of the criteria clients must meet to qualify for the homeownership assistance:
• The family must currently be in the Housing Choice Voucher program.
• The family must qualify as a first-time homeowner, or may be a cooperative member.
• The family must meet the Federal minimum income requirement of $14,500. The family must have a gross annual income equal to the Federal minimum wage multiplied by 2000, based on the income of adult family members who will own the home.
• Attend a first-time homebuyer’s education class and obtain a Certificate of Completion (class must be HUD certified)
• Complete all requirements and conditions established by a credit counseling agency if applicable.
• Acceptable credit for loan financing.
GHA current administrative plan allows five percent of its 1,300 Housing Choice Vouchers for homeownership. The HCVP Homeownership program is currently only available to GHA current HCVP program participants.
If you are a current Housing Choice Voucher Participant and would like more information about the Homeownership Program, please email KarenF@gnvha.org or call (352) 872-5500 Ext. 7106.